Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sweet Potato Gorgonzola Puffs

Sweet Potato Gorgonzola Puffs

I have been dreaming of puff pastry, I always do this time of year! I am a cheese addict and in the fall, I give the oven the proper attention it deserves with plenty of sweet potatoes and squashes. I have been thinking of sweet potatoes and blue cheese in puff pastry for days. I felt inspired today, because I wanted strong flavors. I was also feeling lazy dazy (it's Sunday!). This is how I ended up with sweet potato gorgonzola puffs - very easy and plenty of downtime between steps. I think they are a great appetizer, lunch, or light dinner.

2 medium sweet potatoes

1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil

1 medium sweet onion, diced

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 tsp. fresh thyme, minced

1/8 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg

1 sheet of puff pastry dough, thawed

1 egg, beaten

¼ cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

1 tsp. kosher salt

fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Pierce potatoes with a fork, place on oven rack.

Bake 60 – 80 minutes, until soft. Set aside to cool until you can handle and remove pulp from the skin. I like to cut the potato in half and squeeze the pulp out of the skin.

Meanwhile, heat oil in non-stick skillet and cook onions 10 – 12 minutes, until soft and slightly gold, stirring occasionally.

Add garlic, ½ tsp. salt, a sprinkle of pepper, and cook 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until garlic is golden.

Remove from heat and stir in thyme. Set aside to cool until room temperature.

Mash the potato pulp (no skins) and onion mixture together. Mix in remaining ½ tsp salt and nutmeg.

When ready to prepare, unroll puff pastry sheet and sprinkle with flour. Roll dough into a 16 x 12 sheet. Cut into 16 rectangles.

Brush edges of puff pastry with egg and spoon sweet potato filling into the middle. Top with gorgonzola, fold and pinch edges together. Place on a stone pan or baking sheet.

Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with black pepper.

Turn oven down to 385 and bake 22 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!